Nearly 20 years ago I spent a year chasing doctors trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I was in and out of the hospital several times, had every test known to humankind, and 12 months later, diagnosis in hand, I set out to discover a more holistic way to manage my health. I was labeled with Stage IV (end stage) sarcoidosis. I really did not respond well to the pharmaceutical choices offered to me so I decided to find complimentary and alternative approaches to wellness.
And so I was able to crack the code for myself – it has taken many years of trial and error but I finally know what keeps me functioning at optimal levels. Sometimes it feels like managing my health is a full-time job, but that’s okay. Better than the alternative! And now I am sharing my wellness tips with you. My own health journey has largely influenced why I became a wellness coach.
There are no quick fixes.
There is no magic bullet. And nothing I have done has cured me. But I absolutely have quality of life and that is more than I could have hoped for given my diagnosis.
Educate yourself and find a doctor who will listen to you. That’s my first piece of advice. Become your own health advocate.
And while I am not a doctor, Amy Myers, M.D. is. I highly recommend her elimination diet protocol. There are many elimination diets on the internet and books as well. Hers nailed it for me. The list of foods I cannot eat is lengthy. I joke that I am on the “no-fun” diet. But, auto-immune issues are greatly caused by leaky gut and inflammation so eliminating the foods that cause symptoms and inflammation is key to finding optimal health. Finding out which foods bother you is not as obvious as it seems which is why her step-by-step process is very helpful.
- Nightshades (nightshades are inflammatory) – tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplants
- Cow dairy
- Refined Sugar
- Gluten (also highly inflammatory)
- All preservatives and additives including “natural flavoring”
Supplements that Support my Body Systems
- B complex
- Evening Primrose Oil
- Food Enzymes
Additional Wellness Steps
- I try to exercise 20 minutes daily but at least 3 times per week. My exercise of choice is belly dance.
- I engage in self-Reiki every day. You might consider self-Reiki or meditation or prayer.
- I do not use any products (personal care of home cleaning) with chemicals.
- I have eliminated all fragrances from my body and my home- no candles, no glade plugins, no disinfectant, no cologne or perfume.
- I use essential oils daily to support my emotional, spiritual and physical health. I diffuse, apply topically and ingest oils according to the label.
- I receive MLD- Manual Lymphatic Drainage massage as often as possible.
See my Essential Wellness Wheel for additional tips.
How to Get Started
I only use high quality essential oils, nutritional supplements, personal care products and cleaning products from Young Living Essential Oils.
Yup. It’s called a lifestyle change- a total shift to achieve wellness on all levels and it takes commitment, support, community and self-advocacy.
Are you ready? If so, schedule an appointment for an Intuitive Wellness Consultation session!
Clearly, I am nowhere near my “end!”